Friday 6 November 2015

Me, the kitchen and Buchty

This blog is about recipes. I'm not a full-time or commercial blogger, this is purely a record of the things I've made in my kitchen. Mostly I'm about cooking with what I've got in the larder and that means seasonal, local ingredients where possible. Of course, cocoa and chocolate will never be local and there is no season for chocolate but that won't stop me.

Husband and I are retired, so don't have to eat evening meals. Since we have 'time on our hands' we try and eat breakfast quite simply (coffee & something with a spot of jam) our main meal at lunchtime and then soup or bread & cheese in the evenings. We are English and that means afternoon tea is a ritual every bit as important as that of the Japanese. Whilst I love bought pastries and cakes, I try not too - but France has the best pastries in the world, so sometimes I do!

Normandy is about cream, apples, beef, cheese, cider, charcuterie (all the things you can do with a pig) and fresh vegetables. I don't grow my own (or at least, not yet) but we have markets selling the finest produce to be seen. If I go to the market and say "all I need is a few leeks", you can bet that by the time we're done I'll be muttering about wishing I'd brought the shopping trolley with us. Some veggies are kitchen staples; leeks, celery, onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic, tomatoes. Others come & go with the seasons and are all the more exciting for that.

Having meant to 'have a go' at Brioche for ages (failed once, years ago, because I couldn't follow instructions) this week I decided to try a lighter, less buttery version.



BUCHTY




This is an East European recipe, often filled with plum jam, or poppy seeds. However, a plain version can have nutella, jam or whatever you like, spread for breakfast. This is not a particularly sweet recipe - but is in the brioche tradition.

500g plain flour
½ teaspoon of salt
60g caster sugar
20 g fresh yeast (or 8g dried)
100ml milk (approx)
2 eggs
200g thick creme fraiche
Icing sugar for decoration

Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl (your mixer bowl is most convenient)

Warm the milk (tepid) and mix the yeast into about half of it. Let the yeast become foamy (about 15 mins)
Beat the two eggs in a measuring jug.
Add the yeast mixture, then the rest of the milk up to 200ml

Set your mixer going with the dough hook. Add the liquid to the flour mix. Once the dough comes together, add the creme fraiche. Continue to knead for 12 minutes, until you have a soft, smooth dough. Take the bowl off the mixer. Cover the top with cling film and leave in a warm place until the dough is about doubled in size.  (about 1½ hrs)

Knock the dough back, shape it into about 15 small rolls and place in a buttered dish, with room to expand & join up. 

Let the dough rise for another hour (or overnight in the fridge if they’re for breakfast).

Bake in a low oven (gas mark 2, 150c, 300f) for 30 minutes. 



Sprinkle with icing sugar, then cool in the bowl, then on a rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment