Saturday 7 November 2015

Longing for lemon cake

Today has been so warm and lovely that you would hardly think we are heading into winter. The sky this morning was blue with fluffy clouds and a warm breeze - all the heaters were turned off and the windows open. I know it can't last, but somehow I thought that maybe I could bring some sunshine into the kitchen. I needed to bake a cake for tea today (remember, teatime for the English is sacred), and we had other things happening this morning, so I thought I would try a cup-based recipe that boasts that it is 'better than Starbucks'. There is no Starbucks near here; I think there might be one in Caen, but I've never gone looking for it. However, I like the texture of coffee shop cake and so far have never found a lemon cake recipe with just that slightly sticky firmness of texture that goes so well with a cup of something hot. Anyway, I put this cake together in just a few minutes and it really is the best lemon loaf cake I've made. So, with thanks to www.averiecooks.com, and some adjustment for local availability, here is the recipe I used.

3 large eggs
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup greek yogurt (I actually used an individual tub of about 150ml and topped up with milk)
½ cup vegetable oil (I used Colza oil, but sunflower or corn oil would work equally well)
Zest of three lemons, juice of two lemons, mixed together (use the juice from the other lemon for the glaze)
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt

Whisk the eggs, caster sugar, yogurt, vegetable oil & lemon zest mixture together (I used an electric hand whisk), until it is smooth & creamy.
Sift in the sugar, salt, flour & baking powder. Mix gently, but don't overmix - no need to beat out all the lumps.

Pour the batter into a prepared large loaf tin (buttered/floured or use non-stick baking spray for a fancy tin).

Bake in a moderate oven, gas mark 4, 180c, 350f. Test after 50 minutes - mine took 60 minutes. The top should be gently domed & golden, a wooden skewer should have moist crumbs on it. Cool the cake on a rack before glazing it. Because I'd used a fancy tin, I glazed mine upside down. If you use a plain loaf tin it will look lovely glazed on top.



Mix the juice of the third lemon with a cup of icing sugar. Colour it yellow if you're in the mood. Glaze the top of the cake, allowing some of the glaze to trickle down the sides. 

The cake has a lovely firm texture, a pale lemon colour and a lovely sunshine flavour of lemons. The glaze accentuates the flavour without any harsh or bitter notes. 



The original recipe insists on the use of lemon extract for flavour. I'm afraid I didn't have any, don't use it and much prefer the flavour of fresh lemons anyway. The juice & zest mixture gave me just the flavour I like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment